2016 was an emotional year full of ups and downs concerning the career path that I’ve chosen, and in my personal life. I was able to accomplish a lot this year, but at the same time still need more work to do, make the right decisions and learn to be more patient.
The things I was able to accomplish this year:
• I donated a PlayStation 4 with two games, Xbox One with two games and a PlayStation 3 with three games to Loma Linda Children’s Hospital (Hematology and Oncology Department).
• I completed over 100 volunteer hours at Loma Linda Children’s Hospital and received a certificate.
• Startup Grind is a company partnered with Google for Entrepreneurs, and they help startup companies. They found me on Twitter and I applied to go to their SoCal Conference in Los Angeles, CA. I was chosen to attend out of thousands of applicants, and made great connections.
• I attended the Stupid Cancer: OMG! Summit West Conference in Orange, CA. The organization focuses on young adult cancer patients, survivors and caregivers.
• I received my Toastmasters International Competent Communicator Certificate because I completed 10 speeches.
• On Twitter, I tweeted to Stupid Cancer and they featured my tweet on their blog.
• I completed my 11th speech for Toastmasters at CSUSB, which is a part of the advanced manuals.
To see photos of my accomplishments for 2016, click here: http://www.calmandstrong.net/photos
Inspiration From Entertainment: 2016
The Last Guardian is an action/adventure puzzle videogame exclusively for the PlayStation 4. The game was almost 10 years in the making due to many delays and a console change. The game finally came out this year, Dec. 6th and it didn’t disappoint.
I connected with the game’s art direction, flashback storytelling, emotional music and the motivation through action between the two main characters: the boy and the beast (Trico), which shows the meaning of loyalty and companionship.
Check out one of my favorite set pieces from The Last Guardian here: http://www.calmandstrong.net/team-ico-and-gendesign
A Tribe Called Quest released their album “Thank You For Your Service, We Got It From Here” this year (2016), and the group’s last album was released in 1998. While recording their new album, unfortunately one of the group members Phife Dawg died earlier this year.
I saw an interview with member Q-Tip, and he said it was Phife’s idea for the group to get back together, create a new album and Phife came up with the album title.
A Tribe Called Quest is a Hip-Hop group from the 90’s and they were able to keep the essence of the sound they created, but still able to update their formula, which made their music relevant in 2016.
This was my favorite album to come out this year. R.I. P. Phife Dawg.
Check out one of my favorite songs from Thank You For Your Service, We Got It From Here. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAoqWu6wmfI
Childish Gambino released his album “Awaken My Love!” I never heard any of his music before but I became a fan of his “Atlanta” TV show on FX. When I found out he was releasing an album, I was interested in checking it out.
The album was great and I liked what he did with fusing different genres of music from Psychedelic Soul, Rock, R&B and Electronic. He is known as a Hip-Hop artist (and many other things), but there is no rapping on this album. He sings on every track, and the album is creative with double meanings within his lyrics.
Check out one of my favorite songs from Awaken My Love! Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp7eSUU9oy8
Videogame “The Last Guardian” and albums from A Tribe Called Quest and Childish Gambino were exactly what I needed to end the year. They all inspired me to be different creatively and use time to perfect my vision because I never know who I may inspire while on my journey.
Overall, I had a great year, and had a lot of up and down moments throughout the year. I felt I had gained forward momentum, but at the same time I felt I was going through a period where nothing was happening. This year I learned to be more patient and realized that things will happen when God and the universe wants them to.
I also learned if I don’t see something happening within the physical reality, it doesn’t mean that God isn’t working behind the scenes in the background to get me where I need to be in life.
I’m looking forward and ready to have a better year in 2017!!!
* As a Christmas gift to Loma Linda Children’s Hospital. A friend and I donated three PlayStation 4 games on Dec. 19th. We donated Ratchet and Clank (PS4), Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and The Last Guardian for the children and teenager cancer patients.
* Hope everybody has a safe and Merry Christmas!!!
I do not own any content from the image from inFAMOUS 2 Festival of Blood. No Copyright Intended. All inFAMOUS 2 Festival of Blood content is copyright to their respective owners.
inFAMOUS 2 Festival of Blood content is property of Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA), developed by Sucker Punch Productions.
I don't own any content from the image displayed from Toastmasters at CSUSB.