2017: A Year in Review
2016 was an emotional year full of ups and downs, but 2017 was a stressful year for me because I’ve been working hard without seeing many fruits from my labor. All year until the beginning of November, my website struggled to stay online, which was very frustrating for me. It was difficult for me to keep a positive mindset when things around me felt like they were falling apart.
Throughout this stressful year, I was still able to push through the negative energy and accomplished a lot:
* I completed my 10th Advanced Manuals speech (20 overall) for Toastmasters at CSUSB, and will be receiving a certificate for this accomplishment. * I received “Liked Tweets” acknowledgments via Twitter from Hip-Hop duo “Blu & Exile.” * I received my new prosthetic leg, and my Doctor said it’s a “Ferrari of Prosthetic Legs.” * I completed 221 overall volunteer hours at Loma Linda Children’s Hospital, which is the same hospital where I did my chemotherapy treatment from 1999-2000 and 2002-2003. * Vocal is a long form social publishing platform for contributors and readers engineered for creation and discovery, and I’ve written 12 articles for the platform. * I received “Liked Tweets” acknowledgments via Twitter from two members (Imani and Bootie Brown) of the original Hip-Hop group “The Pharcyde,” and a “Tweet Reply” from Sucker Punch Productions Co-Founder and Producer of inFAMOUS Brian Fleming. When I perform my inspirational speeches, within my PowerPoint, Hip-Hop artist’s Nas, and The Pharcyde, along Sucker Punch’s inFAMOUS videogame franchise with superhero Cole MacGrath help tell my story of being a two-time cancer survivor and hip amputee. The art from Nas, The Pharcyde and Sucker Punch’s inFAMOUS helped me believe, “Nothing is More Powerful Than a Made up Mind.” * Loma Linda Children’s Hospital Volunteer Services wished me a happy birthday. * I attended an event called “Relay for Life,” by the American Cancer Society, which celebrates cancer survivors from all ages. * I wrote an autobiography, “CalmandStrong: Some People Walk in Each Other’s Shoes… I Carry Mine.” Within my book, I detail my pain, struggle and accomplishments from 1999-2013, which is exactly 14 years, and I was 14 years old when I was first diagnosed with knee cancer called Osteosarcoma.
Throughout 2017, I noticed improvements within my speaking and writing abilities, because I’m able to articulate my ideas and turn them into interesting content. With my website being the hub, and connected with my many social media, publishing and online outsourcing platforms, such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr, YouTube, Vocal and Fiverr has helped me connect with people from all over the world.
Each red dot represents each person that has clicked on my website within the last 30 days from around the world.
I felt 2017 was a year where I was working hard in the background, but I still made progress even though it was slow. In 2018, I plan on being in the forefront, so people could witness the full scale of my potential, creativity and talent.
“When you feel passionate about something, follow your instincts because Nothing is More Powerful Than a Made up Mind.”
- Darryl C. Richie
Inspiration from Entertainment
Along with Nas and The Pharcyde, Blu & Exile are also one of my favorite Hip-Hop artist’s, and they released their new album called “In the Beginning: Before the Heavens” this year. This album is considered a prequal, because the songs are from the recording sessions that didn’t make it to their classic debut album, “Below the Heavens.”
One of my favorite songs was the single they released called “Constellations,” and it captured how I felt all year of always pushing through negative energy, but still believing God will give me everything I prayed for and more.
“Some people will hate, some will probably be astonished by the sh*t we accomplished, others will acknowledge it, or leave it up to God and me, cause he promised me everything I prayed for.”
– Blu & Exile, Constellations, In the Beginning: Before the Heavens
To check out Blu & Exile’s “Constellations,” click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4n_LVFdPsQ
* To check out my 10th Advanced Manuals (20th overall) speech for Toastmasters at CSUSB entitled, “CalmandStrong: Retrospective,” click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb9_up7TeTY ;
* To check out my “CalmandStrong: Part 2 Slideshow Video with inFAMOUS Music Montage,” click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiVCZ8yMigY ;
* To check out the sample of my autobiography, “CalmandStrong: Some People Walk in Each Other’s Shoes… I Carry Mine,” click here: http://www.calmandstrong.net/calmandstrong-book-sample
* To check out more photos of my accomplishments from the last few years, click here: http://www.calmandstrong.net/photos
* To check out my Vocal profile, click here: https://vocal.media/authors/darryl-richie?page=1