On Nov. 30th 2016, I received an e-mail from an A&R Representative of SRL Networks, located in London. The representative reached out to me when he discovered my website, and enjoyed the music projects I created.
SRL Networks is an artist relations company representing independent musicians and labels around the world. They are always looking for new music for their radio network, music licensing catalog and artist promotion roster, and they invited me to audition.
I replied to the e-mail stating I’m not a music artist, but an inspirational speaker. I’m looking to inspire with my story of being a two-time cancer survivor. Audiences can expect to hear how I connect my experiences and realities to the digital world of the inFAMOUS videogame franchise and superhero Cole MacGrath.
I also said the music on my website are from established Hip-Hop artists Nas, The Pharcyde and Blu & Exile. I don’t own the music, but their music heavily inspired me not to feel sorry about myself during my darkest days.
When I present my speeches, I have a PowerPoint Presentation where I have songs embedded from Nas (Stillmatic (The Intro) and The Pharcyde (Clouds), (Runnin') to help tell me story.
Check out the songs that helped me believe "Nothing is More Powerful Than a Made up Mind." here: http://www.calmandstrong.net/music
When I speak, I focus on connecting my experiences and realities to the digital world of the inFAMOUS videogame franchise (inFAMOUS and inFAMOUS 2) and superhero Cole MacGrath, along with music from Nas and The Pharcyde.
I replied to the e-mail the very next day saying the words above, and I never got a response. I figured since I don’t make my own music, they weren’t interested.
Fast-forward to Jan. 11th, 2017, I recorded a new speech video and decided to audition by sending SRL Networks an MP3 of my “Nothing is More Powerful Than a Made up Mind: Part 2” speech, Cover Art and a link to my website on Jan. 14th.
I got an e-mail response Jan. 19th, stating they received my submission, and encouraged me to get an audition ticket. Once I received the audition ticket, I received an e-mail stating the audition process would begin shortly.
They said I should hear back from the review team shortly while fans continue to vote for seven days.
My audition ticket includes:
• Unlimited auditions forever, giving me multiple chances to win the hearts of the review team and fans.
• One month promotion of my website/social media page in the audition section.
• One month of unlimited airplay on The Skunk Radio Live Audition Show, which now has 7 million independent music fans worldwide.
• Submitted songs considered for all music licensing opportunities.
• Lifetime promotion of my YouTube channel in The Indie Music YouTube Directory at SkunkRadioLive.com/IndieMusicYouTubeDirectory.
• Get considered to perform at music events hosted exclusively by Skunk Radio Live.
• Fans vote by tweeting Artists/Band Name to @SkunkRadioLive. Tell family, friends and supporters to tweet so I could get more votes.
After submitting my speech in MP3 format, I read on the SRL Networks website that their audience also enjoy listening to acapellas, freestyles and improvisations.
My speech in MP3 format falls under the “acapella” umbrella. I realized when I listened to my speech as just an audio, it reminded me of spoken word poetry.
I’m excited to start 2017 with this opportunity God has blessed me with. I still must win the hearts of the SRL Networks review team and fans, but I’m up for the challenge and ready to put in the work.
* Vote by tweeting CalmandStrong, (Twitter name: @DrichLb85) to @SkunkRadioLive.
* Check out the SRL Networks website here: http://backstage.skunkradiolive.com/
* YouTube: Check out my Official YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCow7_Ahq_1huNK98fONfmDQ